Thursday, January 8, 2009

What to Do What to Do

In a few, very few short weeks I will be turning the big 4-0. I want to do something fun and special. Something out of the ordinary. The problem is, I cannot figure out what to do. I tried to get the hubby involved, and I quote, "it's up to you". hmmm, really? I never really make a big deal out of myself on my birthdays although I wish I could. People seem to have so much more when they advertise themselves on their birthday. I hear people at work tell everyone they see, "today's my birthday, yay". They have fun. They create fun. I'm the opposite. I tend to wonder why no one ever notices. This time may be different. I may be that nut.

It falls on a Tuesday. No big deal. I like Tuesdays, I always have. So what do I do? Someone suggested I book a flight and head for Florida for the weekend. Sounds great, but I know I'd wish to stay longer. Maybe a redeye to Vegas? hmmm, I've been there. Doesn't really sound that exciting to me. I told mom she should have had me in April or May. Since I didn't have a say in that, I have to face the cards that were dealt. Any suggestions? What did you do on your favorite birthday celebration? Dance lessons? A day at the spa? Dinner at Tavern on the Green? A personal Aerosmith or Kenny Chesney concert? A day without having to pick up someone else's dirty socks and underwear or scooping poop out of ReyRey's personal bathroom? Time's getting short. Ideas are welcome!!

PS - Happy 74th Birthday to you know whooooo...

11 comments:

Becca Watson said...

Hmm.. My favorite birthday parties are my 16th and 17th birthdays. On my 16th I had a 7o's/scoobie doo party complete with karaoke and disco balls and strob lights. Myt 17th birthday party was at Chuckie Cheese. It was alot of fun! Those were my last parties. I have not had one since..

Sue said...

Hi Lisa...I actually wrote a big post about the Rue and our time in Paris...I'm not good at linking things...I'm a computer idiot but it's in my October posts. Give this address a try...
hhtp://rue-mouffetard.blogspot.com/2008/10/la-mouffe-behind-street.html

tam said...

Oh geeeze girl I remember when I turned 40! Now worries it is the new 20 ya know! LoL! You just have to do something rockin fun-like hit a concert and for crying out loud try to get back stage! How cool would that be?! Really whooop it up! Hope you let us all here in blogland know when it is and what you plan to do!
Oh yea and I have a special award for you come pick it up on my blog!
~Tam :D

CatHerder said...

Happy 40. I never had a party growing up...I have never been into that, it makes me uncomfortable..BUT a birthday is a great excuse to grab my husband and go do something fun...even if its just an overnight in atlantic city, 3 days in key west, or a hike in the woods followed by a great lunch at cracker barrel to claim back all those calories we just walked off. I dont know about anybody else, but when I turned 40 5 years ago, I became more confident and comfortable with myself...have fun!

Pam B said...

Gee, I'm the most boring person in the world to ask that question! LOL

I've already passed the 4-0 (and I honestly can't remember what I did on that birthday, so it must not have been memorable!).

My suggestion is to do something completely out of character for you, something that you've ALWAYS wanted to do but were afraid to. Something wild and crazy (hubby has to be okay with it, of course!).

Anonymous said...

Well first of all Lisa, Happy Birthday!!!

My 60th birthday happened to fall in the same week we signed the papers on the condo, in 2003...of course, ever since, I've been teased about that present!!!

A quick trip to Big Cedar would be nice for you...they usually run specials in the winter months so the price would be right and wouldn't it be wonderful if it happened to snow a little during your stay. Close to home and special.

Anonymous said...

Actually I usually keep it simple...a nice lunch out with the hubby and lots of presents of course! Happy Birthday!

Shannon said...

HI- Found you by way of NikkiCrumpet and Rue Mouffetard... Happy early birthday! We are definitely fans of getting away (even for a night). Florida would be a great for a weather break. We have often picked a local place where we could drive and stay one night, see a show, have a nice dinner and relax! We do not have the waiters sing to each other though, but for 40 you should go all out!

Becky K. said...

My 40th birthday special event was a Wynonna Christmas Concert with Warren in Philadelphia!

It was in a beautiful old theatre and was a very fun thing to do.

Hope your birthday includes something that is meaningful to you.

Becca Watson said...

I'm back again.. How about hosting a murder mystery dinner or something? I've always wanted to do one of those..

Terri Steffes said...

I am thinking you should do a hot air balloon ride. Columbia has lots of possibilities there.