Thursday, January 29, 2009

Saggy Boobs & Botox

As I'm about to turn the big 4-0, I've been thinking about life. How blessed I have been to do the things I have done in the past 40 years. How blessed I've been to meet so many wonderful people. How puzzled and intrigued to have met so many questionable people. (I will not go into the description of the individual with whom I shared an elevator ride this morning.) And how sad I am when I think about how time flashes before our eyes.



I do not feel 40, whatever that is, and I do not consider it old. Age doesn't seem to be an issue in my family. There's no botox, no boob jobs, no facial peels (showing smooth translucent facial skin with a neck standing out like chicken feet), no butt lifts. Nothing fun that I know of. That's entirely okay with me. Not to say that I won't be doing that facial peel sometime in the future or getting the dark circles under my eyes camouflaged with fat sucked from my thighs, I might. But I probably won't. My home needs too many repairs.



We age for a reason. If I get that peel, will I lose that slight scar on my chin from falling out the car at the drive-in when I was 3? (I'm spoiled, I really, really wanted to go ride on the merry go round and NOT watch the movie. My parents had other ideas so I just opened the car door.) If I lose that scar, will I lose the memory too? The old cliche of how every wrinkle tells a different story is true. It has to be. To prohibit those may keep me in a vacuum I can't get out of. Trapped in a time warp of 1987 with no telltale signs of life's experiences. Sounds refreshing for a minute. Then sad when people walk by my casket saying, "she looks like Joan Rivers". People really do this you know.



Life isn't perfect. We were not created perfect. My boobs will never raise themselves the much needed inches to be college perkier. They will continue to gravitate towards my feet forever. HOWEVER, when I accidentally bump into someone they WILL NOT feel like stabbing elbows. THAT's a good thing.



My hair is graying. I vainly cover it up with dye. It doesn't last. Continuing this process is something I plan to do until I'm too feeble to realize what I'm doing. Then I will continue to dye it. It may look blue, lavender, pink, who knows. I will take pleasure in this. It will make me happy. Happy not to have these WIREY, KINKY gray/white hairs stand at attention like wrought iron.



Lets discuss varicous veins shall we? Varicous veins have been passed from generation to generation on the paternal side of my life. I don't really notice them until I accidentally bump my shin. Then I want to puke. They don't protrude too bad yet, but it's coming. I hear them whispering on ocassion. Walking all those miles on concrete hasn't helped. But let me tell you, it's been fun. I wouldn't trade those miles for anything.



On to feet. My feet. I do worry about my feet. I have a skin issue. I don't like nasty skin. On my feet or anywhere else. Religiously I slather on moisturizer. I refuse to walk around in my cute red sandals with cracked heals. The day my toenails start growing towards the sky, I promise I will retire my cute red sandals. I-promise-I-promise! Really I do.



My eyes will also continue to wrinkle and age. But they still see. They see beauty radiating from the inside of people. I know who you are immediately. There's a difference. No plastic, no frills, no insincere beauty that doesn't match the rest of the package. Beauty from the inside will never be shadowed to people who have eyes that really see.

Is this a downhill slide? Turning 40? I don't think so. My boobs will sag. My butt will droop. Aren't there really worse things in life?

15 comments:

Becca Watson said...

You go girl! Thats the positive attitude to have!! ♥

tam said...

You Rock Old lady! LoL-(just kidding)Whats age-but just a number-seriously! I heard 40 is the new 20-how cool is that anyways? Crap don't feel bad (and I know ya don't)on my next birthday in March I will be two years before 50!!! So I think that means I am going to be 28 -right?
I thought your post was fun-very creative-forward thinking. At any rate girl have a Happy Birthday!

Becky K. said...

Funny! Being 40 is great! I loved it...41 isn't bad either!

Last night our Wii fit told me my Fit age is 38...you should get a machine that tells you that you are younger than you are....
it also says that I am obese. How rude. True, but rude!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

What a great post...I'll be 58 this April 7th and I'm proud of it, I don't feel like it at all and I'm so thankful that I've been given the chance to be a grammy. I think every age we reach has it's rewards:)
Rondell

Farmchick said...

That was really fun to read Lisa..you did a great job of getting your point across! Everything you said was true also! 40 has come and gone for me....it's not so bad!!

When's the big day???
Tania

Terri Steffes said...

Honey, this was a cute post but at 50, now I am totally depressed.

Just kidding! I loved my 40s and I bet you will too!

Anonymous said...

Trust me the best is yet to come! Yes there are some "physical" issues but I am thankful for every beautiful year! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

40... Your just a baby. I feel like you do and pretty much go natural. There is nothing worse than a 70 year old woman where everything has sagged but her breast :>)

Sue said...

I realize every now and then that time just keeps on moving...I'll be 59 this year and feel better then I did at 40....I vow to never stop using hair dye or wearing blue jeans or driving a convertible...I may be 40 lbs. heavier but all that meant was bigger boobs!! Horray for old age.

Shannon said...

I always say you are only as old as you feel! Embrace it :)

Cannyfinds said...

of course there are worse things than saggy boobs, being dead is one, it doesnt matter what the calendar says, its what you feel inside that counts. Look at me, fast approaching 50, but inside im forever 22yrs young, and if you didnt grow old youd never get any experience, and think of all the chocolate youd miss out on lol xxx

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

I loved this post! I will turn 47 in a few days, and I don't feel old...yet! Some days I feel older than others, but I think I have a few more miles left in me. Or at least, I hope so!
Happy Birthday to you!

Susie Q said...

40??? Oh you youngster!! Besides, 52 ain't bad either...considering the alternative that is!

Loved your post...I have decided to stop worrying about the veins and the wrinkles and the gray hair. Okay, so I am lying but I worry LESS! It is what it is sad to say. I will do what I can but I doubt any real work will be done on old me. I figured u the cost of a few things that I would love to have done and it was more than a trip to France, Italy, Austria, Ireland, Scotland andthen some AND my tile floors in the kitchen/bathrooms and counter tops in the kitchen! I guess I will keep the wirnkles and vwins and just travel to Europe eventually. The people in Europe rever older women! Ah...that's the ticket!

Love,
Sue

Rue said...

Happy belated Birthday Lisa!

I am the sorriest person for having missed it. I've been so busy I haven't had time to get around to everyone and see what is going on in their lives.

I'm off to read about it now.....

(((hugs)))
rue

Terry Bayer said...

You're really blessed, indeed! 40 is not the end of everything; it's rather a start of something new and different. And you are absolutely beautiful so just always be happy and contented with everything you have! ♥