Monday, May 11, 2009

I Said Goodbye Today


Years ago when I was very, very young. I remember my grandmother selling her old upright piano because she got a new one. I remember the man loading it into his pickup and tying it securely. Grandma watching the whole time and weeping. Asking why she was crying she said something silly and went on. Only until I got older did I understand why she was crying.
After several conversations I was convinced to say goodbye to my Hooptie. I LOVE my Hooptie. Bad paint and all. Lots of miles and ABS problems convinced those close to me that maybe it was time. I wasn't fully convinced. But I caved. After I caved, I wept silently just like grandma that day she sold her piano. I love my Hooptie. I love every little noise it made, I loved that there are 3 identical Hoopties like mine in town. Mine was special. It had aged imperfectly like me . We had a lot in common. We had security of knowing each other's moods and still accepting with unconditional love. I feel like I just buried my only friend in the whole wide world. I so miss my Hooptie. This day has been stressful. I think Hubby is ready to commit me.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

I know the feeling all to well. My first car was a Hooptie, I cried the day my parents traded it in for a new car! You don't need to be committed! You're just an emotional person!

Justabeachkat said...

Okay, don't laugh...I had no idea what a hooptie was! Seriously. I had to google it. Okay, stop laughing. Well maybe not. If it made you smile or laugh, it's okay.

Hugs!
Kat

Pat T said...

I too had no idea what a Hooptie was nor did I have the common sense to google it until justabeachkat mentioned she did.

Without even knowing it, I've had a Hooptie in my life too!

Becca Watson said...

Yeah.. I cried when my truck died on me.. I was attempting to make a cross country trip and only made it a state away from where I started. i had to leave it behind, because it died on me..

Farmchick said...

I totally understand...I am like the with EVERYTHING! Stop over and visit me!!

Terri Steffes said...

I have to feel for you even though I don't know what a hooptie was, either. I plan to google it as soon as I sign off.

Terri Steffes said...

Ok, I looked.

I am still not sure but hey, if you loved it and will miss it, then that is enough for me. Does that mean there is a new car in your life?