Friday, April 4, 2008

Oh, the Power of Music...


THIS my friends is my lifeline. I am a diabetic requiring insulin, but this my friends, is my lifeline. My hubby bought me an IPod Nano for Christmas, 2006. I opened it and thought, "oh no, something I won't be able to understand". Wow, was I wrong. Yes hubby, I was wrong! It was great to be wrong! No! It was fantastic to be wrong! The IPod gets used almost daily. I can even use it in my car. My car is old enough it has a CD player and a cassette player. I have a nifty adapter to use through the cassette player. One day 2 weeks ago I thought it was dead. I played it in my car on the way to work and it froze. It wouldn't do anything, wouldn't play my favorite song, wouldn't display an album cover. It was dead. I drug myself into work in mourning. I planned to find a box to bury it in the backyard when I got home. I mourned. I mourned thru lunch, advising my friends I'd invite them to the burial. I held back tears telling my hubby of the tragic event. I slowly made my way to the car, after work, for one last hopeful look. Guess what? It was magic, the IPod gods blessed me. It worked!

Music has encompassed my life for as long as I remember. My dad used to play records, mom listened to the radio, and there is a family tendency for playing instruments. My heart belongs to Aerosmith, George Thorogood, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Bob Seger, Kid Rock, Nickelback, there's too many to list. I love almost any kind of music, except Bluegrass. Don't ask why, I dunno. It's okay going thru the cute little craft stores, at least I know there's an exit. If you ever need to punish me, put me in an empty room with Bluegrass blaring in the background. I'll beg for mercy. Oh, the power of music...

I bet you can remember where you were, what you were doing and even the clothes you were wearing when you heard your favorite song, I can. It may not have even been a special song, but it was a special moment. When you hear that song today, you can recall that moment as if it were frozen in time, I can. The sites, the sounds, the electricity, all return. Oh, the power of music...

Dad used to blast British Rock & Roll when I was little. It wasn't my favorite music, but it was music and it made everyone happy. Sometimes we'd listen to Merle Haggard, George Jones, ZZTop, Tom Jones, The Stones and lots of other great music while I was growing up. Even at bedtime, dad played the old LPs. They thrilled me to sleep. I anticipated the best slumber when he played those records. At the back of our house, there was an old make-shift basketball goal where I'd shoot baskets. I'd take my "jam box" out there and escape to the bellows of Def Leppard, Twisted Sister and others. My Uncle Ralph told me once I couldn't make a basket during basketball games because there wasn't any of that "%#*@!! noise" playing. Oh, the power of music...

I remember getting the flu when I was in college. Home was almost 3 hours away. I was really sick and my parents came to get me. Only, they didn't realize how sick I was. Dad had the Rolling Stones roaring in that Oldsmobile. So loud he couldn't hear me when I told him he had to stop the car. I was too sick to speak loud enough to tell him to turn it down. To me, that's a great memory and it centered around music. Which leads me to a favorite way to listen to music. In my car. By myself. It transcends me to another universe. A musical, happy universe. I imagine myself playing the guitar, piano, drums, saxophone, trumpet, you name it I can play it. And I can drive while I'm there too. Oh, the power of music...







It doesn't hurt to shake what your mama gave ya when you're listening to tunes. Great exercise. It drives my mutts wild. They think it's play time. My hubby does this quite well, after a few drinks that is. But, he has to have drinks. Otherwise he throttles forward to PANIC mode. I love to slow dance to Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight", I usually do this in that universe I told you about earlier. However, every once in awhile, the hubby will surprise me.

My hubby and I like to play "Name That Tune" with our rules. He's eight years older than I am and thinks he can outsmart me with older tunes. Guess what, it's hard to do when I've been listening to music as soon as I popped into the womb. He beats me on occasion, just not very often. It makes for good times with my hubby. I look forward to the many musical notes ahead. Oh, the power of music...

1 comment:

Gayla said...

Indeed. I love it you have music around you. Nothing better for the soul.