Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rain Rain Go Away

I love water. I love the smell. I love the sound. I love everything about it. HOWEVER, enough is enough. I cannot believe how much rain we have gotten in the past few days. HWY. 63 was overcome with water about 10 miles south of where I live. In 13 years I cannot remember the water running over the top of the highway. Me and several other vehicles sat roadside hoping the water would go down so we could make it to work yesterday morning at 6:25am. I was almost too chicken when the highway dept. finally gave us the okay to drive through. The Mustang in front of me looked like it was sinking.


The hubby and I went to a local state park to see how it looked. Long Branch State Park has a beautiful lake. I haven't seen it this full in a very long time.

No beach, just a volleyball pit.The jetty was underwater alright. Next we went to the city lake. It has a spillway just off of HWY 36. Rarely does this spillway ever have water flowing over it. The water was raging Wednesday evening. Plus, it had gone down since earlier in the day.That's the city swimming pool in the background.I'm not sure who this man is, but he sat here for quite a little while. He may be contemplating the water or he may be "searching" for fish. Who's that good lookin' guy in the baggy pants and pink shirt. I believe I heard him say several times yesterday, "real men where pink". hmmmm...Right here on the hill to the lake, was so peaceful. You couldn't really hear the raging water. The swimming pool and tennis courts sit in the background.

4 comments:

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Hey Lisa - all that rain - isn't it unfortunate how mother nature is sometimes - you all don't need a bit and we were in desperate need of it. Fortunately, we got a lil' bit this weekend. I hope you haven't had any damage - my heart breaks for those that are suffering from all the flooding. Hope things dry out for you soon - have a great weekend! Cathy

Celene said...

Hi Lisa, this is my first visit to your blog and I like it! I agree, too much water! I live about 60 miles NE of St. Louis and am far enough away from any body of water to be in danger of flooding, thank goodness! This is honestly the 1st time in my life that I'm glad not to live on the water! I have added your blog to my friends list. Please come on by to my place and take a look. If you like it would you return the favor? Thanks and God Bless! Celene

PAT said...

All the islands/sand bars have disappeared from the Missouri River, at St Charles. Amazing! The levee broke at Winfield the other day. That was near where we always catch the Ferry to IL.

Have a great weekend!
Your photos are wonderful! Really captured the movement of all that water!

I used to live at the other end of 63...South.
Pat

The Vintage Housewife... said...

oooh honey i love the rain...but it seems its too much!!! thanks for swingin' by my place...cat