Sunday, May 29, 2011

FEET

Let me begin by stating, "I hate feet!" Very few people have great feet. It has taken me years to show my feet in public. It all started when I was very young. My mother bought me a pair of blue sandals. I remember them to this day. She loved them. Thought they were cute. I wore them. Well, you know, kinda felt like I had to. I believe I may have been around 5 years old.

I went to play with my best friend. Needless to say, I had on my new blue sandals. We were in the bathroom (I remember this also to this very day.) She was sitting on the toilet when she alerted me to the fact that she hated my sandals. WHAT? I couldn't believe she hated them when my mom loved them. The she proceeded to share with me that I had the world's ugliest feet. That was the beginning of me not showing my feet for years to the public. I may have had to wear those blue sandals a time or two after that, but probably I despised every darn minute of it.

Through the years I would see people wearing cute shoes. Feet, toes showing and all. Some of them shouldn't...

Only within the past 8 years have I begun to show my feet, not minding what people think. Yes they swell. No they are not pretty. But I have learned there are so many more feet out there that are so much uglier than mine. To my best friend from many moons ago who taught me how to loathe my feet, I bet her perfect little toes are really no better than mine. So what if my second toe is a smidge longer than my big toe. Doesn't that just mean shoes will fit me better? I see little skinny women with the fattest little sausage toes. I wonder how that happens. Really? Can they fit those little box feet in cute shoes? Maybe. Maybe it just doesn't matter.

All of this leads to 42 years of my life and I finally got my very first spa pedicure yesterday. WOW!! Really. WOW!!! My favorite part was the paraffin soak and massage of that warm wax on my arches. Holy cow...I...am...hooked!

So now I dare to show the world my feet. They aren't perfect, but they are mine. They say a lot about me. Cause you know the old saying, "if you don't take care of your feet, you probably aren't taking care of other things either!"




Yes I bought these shoes this spring. I could not wait to wear them. My hubby laughed because he remembered a time not so long ago when I would try on shoes and say, "they show too much toe." He thought that was crazy. I guess I am too. The one thing I have learned in 2011 for those who take care of their feet, but have never gotten a pedicure. Now is the time. I promise from the bottom of my feet, you will not regret it!!!


7 comments:

Helen said...

NO ONE could have feet as ugly as mine ... the sad fact is most shoes hurt ... leaving me with that unsightly sandal option in warm weather. Your toes/feet are actually lovely.

If ever we meet
don't look down
at my feet!

Unknown said...

Your feet look very good in your sandals!
take care
Kim

Loris Glassworks said...

Don't you just love the freedom of wearing open toe shoes and sandals! I'm sure your tootsies are happy to breath a little. Cheers!
Lori

P.S. you have lovely feet...no worries...

Bellaisa said...

Your feet look great to me!

But seriously it's the story that stuck with me. We take things to heart and carry them with us for years and years - it's amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "your're a beautiful woman from the tip of your toe to the top of your head,"!!!

A Old Marine Veteran

Connie Dale said...

Lisa....I can really relate to your story. I had an older cousin that I idolized tell me when I was a child that my toes were too long, along with many other criticisms of my body....and over 50 years later, I still hate certain parts of my body. However, I did get over hating my toes. Andee finally convinced me a few years ago to have my first pedicure. I can't say that I enjoyed it....I was nervous and sweaty....but it did make me realize that my toes could look kinda pretty. Hugs to you for showing your lovely toes!!!

Connie

Cindy said...

Miss Lisa,

You have beautiful feet and I love those brown sandals! Wear them proudly!!!

Love you,

cindy